One of my favorite things about Valentine’s Day is the chocolate. PSA to my boyfriend (as if he didn’t already know): a holiday that encourages the consumption of chocolate in any form provides you with a guaranteed way to make me smile.
I know we’re still a couple of weeks out, but I figure some of you out there might be trying to plan a treat to make for the ones you love on February 14. Dare I suggest this triple chocolate quick bread? You can serve it as a sweet breakfast-in-bed item, or break it out for dessert (top it with a scoop of ice cream–calories consumed on holidays don’t count).
This loaf/cake came about because I spent last weekend in Philadelphia, visiting a dear friend and helping with wedding planning. It was a wonderful trip, complete with an outing for tea sandwiches, scones, and clotted cream (highly recommend this place if you’re in the area!), and I even got to take a turn around my old college campus.
I brought this quick bread to my friend’s family as a thank you for hosting me, and we all enjoyed it for breakfast last Saturday morning. While it might be more appropriately called a “cake,” deeming this treat a “quick bread” totally makes it acceptable to eat with your tea or coffee…and I can’t be held responsible for how much of it is gone by noon.
I may have cut myself an extra thick slice. After all, I don’t have to fit in a bridesmaid dress until October…
Triple Chocolate Quick Bread
Adapted from Nestle
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Scharffen Berger)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar, packed
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup buttermilk*
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chunks (I used Scharffen Berger 62% cacao)
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips
*I made buttermilk by letting 1 tbsp white vinegar stand in just less than 1 cup of skim milk for 5 minutes.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray a 9×5 inch loaf pan with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, cocoa powder, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Set aside.
3. Cream butter and sugars in another bowl until smooth. Add eggs one by one and beat until each is incorporated. Add vanilla and continue to mix.
4. Add half of the dry mixture, mix, then pour in half the buttermilk. Continue to mix, alternating the addition of dry and wet, until batter is smooth and no dry streaks remain.
5. Fold in the chocolate chunks. Pour batter into greased loaf pan. Lick spatula.
6. Bake for 15 minutes, then remove from oven and sprinkle mini chocolate chips over the top of the partially baked bread.
7. Return to the oven for another 25-30 minutes, until a toothpick or knife inserted in the center of the loaf comes out clean.
8. Let cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes, then turn out of the pan to cool completely on the wire rack.
Now, how about that giveaway?? [The giveaway is closed, and the winner has been notified!] The lovely folks at Scharffen Berger have graciously volunteered to send a chocolate prize pack to one of my readers. You’ll receive:
- Unsweetened Natural Cocoa Powder
- Folio Box of Scharffen Berger Tasting Squares
- Scharffen Berger Baking Chunks
- Assorted Scharffen Berger eating bars
Sound good to you?
To enter: MANDATORY: Leave a comment below and tell me, What are your plans for Valentine’s Day? (They don’t have to include a significant other! If you’re treating yourself to manicure for V-Day, I would tell you to rock on.)
For additional entries (you must leave a comment for each additional entry**):
–Subscribe to Chip Chip Hooray via RSS or email.
–Follow @ChipChipHooray on Twitter
–Tweet about the giveaway, tagging @ChipChipHooray, and link to this post.
–Like Chip Chip Hooray on Facebook
–Pin with me on Pinterest
–Follow me and check out what I’m up to on Instagram
That’s seven possible ways to win a ton of tasty Scharffen Berger chocolate!
**Important: I’ve had trouble with comments getting through on this blog in the past. If you’re trying to enter and having issues with comments, send me an email and let me know.
–This giveaway is open to residents of United States only (sorry again, UK friends!) and will run until from Tuesday, January 29, until Tuesday, February 5, at 11:59 pm EST.
–Winner will be determined via a random number generator software program. Winner will be notified via the contact email provided on the comment contact form.
–Winner will have until Thursday, February 7, to respond to my email and claim their chocolate prize pack or another winner will be chosen and contacted.
–Prize will be shipped directly to the winner’s address by Scharffen Berger.
Disclaimer: This giveaway was sponsored by Scharffen Berger. I received an identical chocolate shipment to sample, but as always, all opinions are my own.