Well hi! It seems like ages since I’ve haunted this space. There are a couple of reasons for my blog absence that I feel like I should share with you guys before we get to these riiiiidiculous cookie bars.
I mentioned a while back that I got a new job, and I’ve been working in that role for almost three months now. On the upside, I love it. The people are wonderful, my boss is incredible, and I really feel like I’m getting the opportunity to be creative and take on responsibility for all sorts of projects. Lots of pluses! I’ve also mentioned that I’m a part-time grad student, and my spring semester classes started up again a week after I started my new job. Oh, did I also mention that I freelance and I’m in a long-distance relationship?
Oy. So yeah, needless to say, most days I got home after work, or class, or both, and just couldn’t do anything but collapse on the couch. I was eating several PB&J sandwiches a week because I just didn’t have time to cook. And blogging? Psh. I promised myself when I started doing this that I would never let blogging feel like homework, like something I resented or that I felt pressured to do. So I let myself dial back on blogging for a little while.
Did I miss my kitchen and the smell of melting chocolate? Oh HECK yes. And it was so, so good to slide this tray of cookie bars in the oven today. I made them as a welcome home present for Charlie, who was in Wisconsin visiting one of our college friends. He was always a fan of these when I’d throw them together at school, and I haven’t made them in ages. Hopefully these make him smile when I show up at the airport. 🙂
Brown Butter Magic Cookie Bars
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, browned (I used Kerrygold)
- 8 graham crackers (1 sleeve), crushed
- 1/2 cup sweetened coconut flakes
- 1/2 cup butterscotch chips
- 3/4 cup Scharffen Berger semisweet chocolate chunks
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 14-oz can sweetened condensed milk
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and grease an 8×8 Pyrex pan with cooking spray.
2. Brown butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Inhale the nutty, caramel-y goodness as you pour the melted, browned butter into the bottom of the Pyrex pan.
3. Sprinkle the graham crackers over the butter. Mix with a fork until all crumbs are moistened and press the crumb layer into the bottom of the pan.
4. Sprinkle coconut, butterscotch chips, chocolate chunks, and walnuts over the graham cracker layer.
5. Pour sweetened condensed milk over those layers. I didn’t need to use the whole can for mine–maybe a bit more than three-quarters.
6. Bake for about 20 minutes, or until bars are bubbling and starting to brown on the edges.
7. Let cool on a wire rack for at least one hour before slicing.
Makes about 12 squares. Store in an airtight container.
P.S. I also had the chance to hang out with Erin of The Spiffy Cookie, Lauren of Keep It Sweet Desserts, Joanne from Eats Well with Others, Jen from Bake or Break, and Kayle aka The Cooking Actress this weekend–keep an eye out for a recap of our foodie day, coming later this week. 🙂