Well, since it snowed (?!?!) in New York yesterday, I finally feel like I can say it — it’s the holiday season! Granted, nothing accumulated, but I left my apartment to catch the subway and got smacked in the eye with a big ol’ flake. Nice to see you too, winter.
Anyway, that plus a gingerbread latte have me thinking family gatherings and lots of food. Chances are you’re looking for something to bring to your holiday get-togethers — and this Chocolate Swirl Pumpkin Bread is a winning candidate!
First of all, it’s a quick bread…ain’t nobody got time to play around with finicky yeast these days. (Unless you’re good at it, in which case — please bake me some bread. Kthx.) And second, it can do double duty as an after-dinner dessert or a next-morning breakfast/brunch item. Are you sold yet?
If that’s not enough, I’m working with Divine Chocolate once again, and this time they’re bringing you an awesome giveaway, too. Details are at the end of the post, so hold your horses for just a few. I love Divine because their chocolate is Fair Trade, which ensures their farmers receive a better deal for their cocoa and additional income to invest in their community. And company ownership gives the farmers a share of Divine’s profits and a stronger voice in the cocoa industry. I’ve met the Divine farmers, and I can testify to the fact that they really are special people.
So it’s a win-win-win, people. Bake this bread and your family is happy, your tummy is happy, and your conscience is happy. Get to it!
Chocolate Swirled Pumpkin Bread
Adapted only slightly from Baking Bites
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 cups brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 3/4 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 2 tsp pumpkin pie spice (I made my own)
- 3/4 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, divided
- 3 tbsp cocoa powder
- 3 oz finely chopped dark chocolate (approx 1/2 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and grease a 9×5-inch loaf pan with baking spray.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together vegetable oil, brown sugar, eggs, pumpkin puree and vanilla extract.
3. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda, salt and pumpkin pie spice. Stir half of the dry ingredients into the pumpkin mixture, followed by 1/2 cup almond milk.
4. Stir in the remaining half of your dry ingredients, mixing just until no streaks of flour remain. Don’t be like me and succumb to the temptation to overmix.
5. In another small bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and 1/4 cup almond milk until well combined. Then add in 1 cup of the pumpkin batter as well as the finely chopped chocolate and fold together.
6. Alternate adding pumpkin batter and chocolate batter into the prepared pan, dolloping both batters around to spread out the colors. Then run a butterknife through the batters to gently swirl them together.
7. Bake for 50-55 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Allow bread to cool in the pan for 5 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack to cool completely.
Makes 1 loaf.
Now, for the giveaway!! What THREE of you will win:
–Limited Edition bar of 70% Dark Chocolate with Hazelnuts & Cranberries
–Limited Edition bar of Milk Chocolate with Spiced Cookies
–Milk and Dark Chocolate Christmas Trees
–Milk and Dark Chocolate Coins
How to enter:
–MANDATORY: Leave me a comment, telling me: What’s your favorite holiday tradition?
For extra entries (leave a comment for EACH additional entry):
–Subscribe to Chip Chip Hooray via RSS or email
–Follow @ChipChipHooray on Twitter
–Follow @DivineChocUSA on Twitter
–Tweet the following: “I’d love to win @DivineChocUSA holiday treats from @ChipChipHooray! http://wp.me/p1Yt6H-se%C2%A0#DivineInNYC” #DivineInNYC”
–Like Chip Chip Hooray on Facebook. Feel free to say hi while you’re there! 🙂
–Like Divine Chocolate USA on Facebook and leave the comment: “I’d love to win Divine Chocolate holiday treats! Sent by Chip Chip Hooray! #DivineInNYC”
–This giveaway is open to residents of the 48 contiguous United States only (sorry again, HI, AK, and UK friends!) and will run until from Wednesday, November 13, until Friday, November 22, at 11:59 pm EST.
–Three winners will be determined via a random number generator software program. Winners will be notified via the contact email provided on the comment contact form.
–Winners will have until Wednesday, November 27 (the day before Thanksgiving!), to respond to my email and claim their chocolate prize pack or another winner will be chosen and contacted.
–Prize packs will be shipped directly to the winners’ addresses by Divine.
Disclaimer: This giveaway was sponsored by Divine Chocolate USA. I received a prize pack of chocolate items for review, but as always, all opinions stated are my own.