It is about a kajillion degrees in New York right now. That’s scientific precision, mind you. For once, I was grateful for the chance to hibernate in my super-duper-air-conditioned office all day long, hiding from the heat and humidity that hit me like a wall the second I stepped out the door. (It also helped that yesterday was Office Tenant Appreciation Day so our building gave everybody free gelato. Heck yessss!)
Now, there is no way I am going near my oven in the magma swamp that my apartment has become. But! I did bake up these fabulous cookie surprises last weekend, before simply getting off the couch become a feat to be praised. One of my coworkers was celebrating a birthday, and I–naturally–volunteered to cater the sweet portion of the lunchtime festivities.
These cookies were born out of a regular old Saturday trip to Target. As I was meandering the aisles, ogling the seemingly endless supply of new treats to sample, guess what caught my eye?
Obviously these little gems needed to find a baked good to call home.
One of my favorite blogs to read (and I read a lot of blogs) is Jenny’s. Have you met Jenny? In addition to having adorable children (with another on the way!) and coming up with some of the most consistently decadent desserts I’ve ever seen, she’s also ace at stuffing things in cookies (most notably, Oreos).
These cookies are pillowy soft, almost cake-y in texture, and the melty Kiss hidden inside makes for a surprise pop of white chocolate sweetness. Lest you fear a sugar coma, though, the subtler notes of the semisweet chunks and the heartiness lent by a bit of white whole wheat flour temper what might become an overly saccharine lil package. They got rave reviews at my office…a coworker’s subject line in response to her first bite: “?!?!?!??!?!”
I’ll take it.
Cookies ‘n’ Creme Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies
Adapted from Picky Palate
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/4 cup LAND O LAKES® Butter with Olive Oil & Sea Salt, at room temperature
- 1/2 cup organic sucanat (dehydrated cane sugar)
- 1/4 cup plus 1/8 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup chocolate chunks
- 12-14 Hershey’s Cookies ‘n’ Creme Kisses, unwrapped
1. If baking immediately (see step 5), preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Cream butters and sugars in the bowl of your mixer until well combined and fluffy (the sucanat will not dissolve completely; it’s okay).
3. Add egg and vanilla and continue to mix until uniform.
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together the flours and baking powder. Gradually mix into wet ingredients until dry ingredients have disappeared and a cohesive dough forms. Fold in chocolate chips with a spatula.
5. Refrigerate dough for at least an hour and even overnight. When dough is chilled, form a tablespoon of dough around the bottom of one unwrapped Kiss. Take another tablespoon and form it over the top of the Kiss until the Kiss is completely enclosed. Place onto unlined nonstick baking sheet and repeat with the remaining dough and Kisses.
6. Bake 10-12 minutes, or until the bottoms of the cookies are just beginning to brown. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to wire racks to cool completely.
Makes about 1 dozen (12) cookies.